Thursday, 21 April 2011

Ahhh NYC...and a bit'o' James Blunt!

It's 11.30pm and the traffic outside is a-la peak hour Perth. I cannot believe the amount of shops that are open, people that are out and cars on the road. That said, welcome to New York City; the city that really does not, ever, sleep.

This place is amazing. It was the one city I was dying to come back to on this trip and now that I am here, I'm already sad about leaving one week from today. I know I am going to miss everything about New York; the ridiculous driving, 15/1 taxi cabs, honking cars, lights of broadway; the shopping, crowds, eating and friendly people. Everything about New York just makes you want to be happy and happy is where I am right now.

So, the reason for my post at this fine hour is because I have just witnessed the phenomenal James Blunt, live in New York City. Now don't all you haters start up!

The venue was NYC's art deco Beacon Theatre. The three tiers only house about 2000 people so the concert was intimate, as far as concerts go, and the performance was nothing short of magical. He sings with such unwaivering passion and you can really feel every lyric of the (as he puts it) miserable songs he was singing. The up-tempo songs on the other hand had you bouncing out of your chair and singing along. It truly was one of the best concerts I have ever seen (and, to put that into perspective, I have been dying to pee for about 3 hours and instead of coming back to the hotel and running upstairs I came to the computer to post this) LOL!

So, other than seeing Mr Blunt this evening we spent today touring the city and wandering around the World Trade Centre. I can't believe how far things have come in the five years since I was last here. The buildings that now stand in place of the old WTCs are huge and they're only going to get bigger! There is now a permanent memorial office near by and St Paul's Church also houses many pieces of memorabilia. Still a very sombre sight and one that left me shedding a few tears.

We also saw a few movie star sites in Central Park and stalked a few homes of the rich and famous, only like Angelina Jolie, Al Pacino, Woody Allen and Celine Dion. None of them were home though. Oh, oh, oh and...for those of you who know it, we went right past Zarin Fabrics - you know, Jill Zarin, the Real Housewives of NYC! I was soooo excited, we might just have to go back there tomorrow!

Speaking of tomorrow, it is Good Friday so we're not sure how much we're going to be able to do but first stop will be the Empire State Building which we know for sure is open! After that we'll hit up the Bull on Wall Street and FAO Schwarz too.

Ohhhh, forgot to mention, I thought I lost my credit card but, never fear, I very easily found it again in Macy's...chiii-ching!!

Saturday we're off to see Mary Poppins *sings* "...chim-chim-e-ney, chim-chim-e-ney, chim, chim, cheroo..."

Ok, now I really do have to go pee! Happy Easter everyone, I will post again soon.

Px

P.S. Sorry this post has no photos...

3 comments:

  1. you are too much Pina....I am loving this blog it really mi fa ridere mate!
    I love your Jill Zarin reference - make sure you go back in cos she does work there (aparently, according to the show)
    oh and dont get me started on your James Blunt love-a-thon. that guy is mud!
    luv yaaaa
    ax

    ReplyDelete
  2. *GASP* vergogna Anth, he was awesome!

    I did go into the Zarin store, on Saturday I think. She no there. The lady said she really doesn't go in that much, only when they have to tape something. She gave me a very pretty, high end, 100% calico "Zarin Fabrics" bag though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you got a zarin calico bag? farrrrk - tu sei bloody lucky mate!

    Keep the posts coming - its the onely reason i look forward to coming to work every day...got something to read other than work emails!

    if you get time, go to a bar in the Lower east Side called PDT - it stands for 'Please Dont Tell" you enter from the hot dog place next stoor (on St Marks Place) and its like a hole in the wall...behind the wall is the most amazing quaint bar that makes old skool cocktails...its such a great experience!

    ReplyDelete