Saturday, 21 May 2011

Mamma, we're coming home!

Aloha everyone, for the last time.

Six unbelieveable weeks come to an end early tomorrow morning, when we board our QANTAS flight and head home.

We have had the most amazing time over here. We've seen things we will never forget, experienced cultures unlike any other, met some great new friends and, of course, we've eaten both weird and wonderful foods. I can't say enough about the fun we've had and the relaxing we've done. It's been worth every penny and trust me, many pennies were harmed in the making of this holiday!

Our last few days in Hawai'i have been spent just relaxing, front row on Waikiki Beach, two lounge chairs, an umbrella and a few cocktails by our side and, there is nothing more we have wanted to do.

Anyway, I can't leave without another "Picture This" so, picture this, Waikiki Beach, Honolulu.

It's 4pm on a beautiful summer's day. I head down to the beach, find myself a lounge chair and prepare for the water. Off I go, walking at a quick pace towards the beautiful coastline, white sand, clear water as far as the eye can see. I get to the edge of the water and decide to kinda jog in, as you do...hop, skip, KAPUT! HAHAHAHAHAHA. Under the water here there isn't just that beautiful white sand you see at the edge, there are big ass rocks and ones that met me and my feet with an earth-shattering thud. It was pretty funny, nevermind Baywatch, the people of Honolulu found a beached whale right on their shoreline after I went for that ride haha.

So, America. What have we loved? What have we hated? Leo and I put together a bit of list last night. We were aiming for a kinda Top-10 theme but we didn't quite make it so we'll just list what we've got.

WE LOVED
  1. New York City - the crowds, the lights, the go-go-go. This place is truly one of the best cities in the world and one we cannot wait to go back to.
  2. Waikiki Beach - Bali MY ASS people. I've never been to Bali and having come here, I never want to go. This is all we could ever want when it comes to relaxing, beautiful beaches, tasty cocktails and a friendly culture. Love, love, love Hawai'i, another place on the come back to list.
  3. Law & Order Marathons - when all is said and done for the day and you just wanna relax for a while nothing beats the endless episodes of Law & Order that screen over here. No matter what time of the day or which city you are in there is bound to be one channel showing Benson, Stabler, Goren and Eames. We love it!
  4. Celebrity Spotting - there is no where else that I can think of where you can just walk down the street (at the right time) and literally bump into your favourite actors. Ice-T, Chris Hemsworth, Dr Phil, Lady Gaga, Chris Evans, Samuel L Jackson and the cast of Glee all in one week. Love it.
  5. The Food - also featuring on our hate list but for worse reasons, we love some of the foods here. Twinkies, Bagels, IHOP pancakes, a warm vanilla latte on a cold day...there are some things that are made "only in America".
  6. Shopping - more correctly, Macys. Myer and David Jones will never be the same again. Macys is the pinnacle of shopping for us now, name brands, in our sizes and for a price we can afford. Fantabulous! Oh, and don't forget our new paisano Jimmy Choo!
  7. The Pokies in Vegas - our favourites were definitely the Munny, Dirty Dancing and the Rock n Roller. C'mon Packer, bring 'em to Perth!
  8. The Roller Coaster at New York New York in Las Vegas - aaaarrrrrgggggggggghhhhh! Talk about the ride of our life. Just wait until you all see the photo!
WE HATED

  1. The Food! It seems like 90% of the foods here are deep fried and served with fries or onion rings. Bacon comes with french toast and maple syrup and a slice of cake is more like a slab. No wonder we're both heading back a good 5kg's heavier!
  2. Smoking - eeeeewwww! I didn't realise how much we're used to non-smoking venues until we got to Vegas where the casinos are like walking around a Beijing Street in peak hour. Poooooo!
  3. Beggars - lots of beggars here, they're kinda like a good cafe in Rome, there's one on every corner...you get your exercise walking around them though.
  4. Tipping - geeeesus this took some getting used to! You pay for your meal or tour or whatever it is but then you gotta add another 18% for the waiter or guide. I understand they get paid crap here and that what we give is their salary but, funculo, I'd rather their bosses paid them properly to start with!
So, that's our wrap up of this amazing trip. On one hand we're both sad to be coming home but we're also ever so thankful that we were here. In the words of Peter Allen, "...but no matter how far or how wide I roam, I still call Australia home..." We both can't wait to see our families, our friends and those three little munchkins who have been overly spoilt on this trip! Zara, Charlie & Jessica, Zia and Zio are coming home!

That's all from me people. Thanks to those of you who have emailed and posted comments while we've been away, it's been great to keep in touch. I hope you have enjoyed reading our blog and we look forward to sharing our photos and stories with you all, in person, very soon.

Aloha and Mahalo!
Pina & Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment